Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pushing Buttons in Front of a Box

I'm not much in the mood for blogging this morning because I'm not making much progress at the moment because my computer is being really slow. It's kind of frustrating. Somehow, we as a culture have made ourselves dependent on machines that most of us don't know how to make work. And when they don't work, we find ourselves in serious trouble. I have a provision for how I'll keep my commitment to blog when the internet's not working. I'll write my "Blog Post" on paper, and put up on my blog when I can. Maybe I should do that anyway. I don't often write things by hand. I bet it'd be kind of therapeutic. I spend too much time looking at screens anyway. Maybe I should take a pencil and paper outside and "Blog" out there sometime. You certainly get a different perspective outside than at a computer. It's amazing how nature just makes sense, even if we don't completely know how life works.

Computers are very different creatures than living things. Computers are all based on logic. "If this, then that." Computers don't actually think. They just process information. Computers don't know anything. They just memorize stuff. It seems strange how much time we spend with "creatures" that aren't actually intelligent, and how little time we spend with things that are actually alive. Some people wonder what the meaning of life is, but I bet most of them can agree that it has very little to do with pushing buttons in front of a box.

We believe that the purpose of life is to achieve ultimate happiness by becoming like our Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father is loving and caring, wise and intelligent, forgiving and just. If I'm not mistaken, just about everything He does is focussed on His relationship with us. He's a people person. So, to become like Him, we should all be people people (unless I'm totally wrong, in which case, please disregard this whole blog post). Perhaps I need to spend less time on computers and more time actually connecting with people and nature and God. Don't get me wrong, the internet is a great way to communicate with other people; Most of you wouldn't be reading this without the internet. But to make a more personal connection, it may be better to actually connect in person.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

good food for thought.

I wonder about this whole computer and logic thing, even though that is what we are told. I think these machines sometimes behave erratically. oh whell.

I think you are right about getting outside. I like how you describe Heavenly Father. Especially the People Person thing. I never thought about it quite like that.

Use all the tools at your disposal, your smile, your service, face time when possible AND the internet (in moderation?).

Thank you, as ever, for posting.