Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Best Time to Plant a Tree


Maybe I should start previewing my blog posts before I post them. I don't know what that quote did to my blog post yesterday, but I don't like it.

I don't have much time for blogging this morning, as we have church in the morning now, rather than in the early afternoon. In fact, I have hardly any time for blogging at all, which is terrible because I'm not sure what to blog about. Maybe I'll blog really quickly about the First Presidency Message in the current Ensign.


With each new month, there's a new First Presidency Message in the Ensign Magazine and on LDS.org. The current one is by President Uchtdorf, and it's title, The Best Time to Plant a Tree, relates to the last paragraph of his message:

An old proverb says, “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”
There is something wonderful and hopeful about the word now. There is something empowering about the fact that if we choose to decide now, we can move forward at this very moment.
Now is the best time to start becoming the person we eventually want to be—not only 20 years from now but also for all eternity.

 A lot of people have a problem with procrastinating, myself included. The best time to decide what I was going to blog about, and maybe even write the blog post itself, was yesterday. But sometimes, it's too late to do things yesterday, making the next-best time to do something today.

I like the message of what President Uchtdorf said, basically that no matter where we are right now, and no matter what we've been doing for the last 20 years or so, we can make the decision to improve ourselves starting today. It's too late for me to have planned ahead for this morning's blog post, but this afternoon, I'll have plenty of time to plan ahead for tomorrow's.

No comments: