Monday, December 8, 2014

"Best Nativity Ever"

Just for the record, I didn't want to blog about this, but I couldn't find anything else that's Christmassy, and I didn't want to break my streak of writing blog posts that centered on, or at least prominently featured Jesus Christ. This has been described on Facebook as the "Best Nativity Ever." I could not disagree more.




I think it goes without saying that I'm slightly offended to see one of the most sacred events in human history portrayed by Coke cans in a cardboard box. It's even more depressing to see this miserable, (deliberately arranged) pile of garbage described as the "Best Nativity Ever." I thank my lucky stars that I will soon see literally hundreds of nativities better than this one, and so can you.

Because I'm lazy and short on time, I'll copy and paste directly from an email invitation I was sent:

The Eighth Annual Elk Grove Nativity will be held at the Seasons Chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, located at 6711 Seasons Drive, Elk Grove, CA.

The Eighth Annual Elk Grove Nativity is free of charge. 
Important Dates 
Friday, December 12, 2014
Open House: 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. 
Saturday, December 13, 2014
Open House: 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Messiah Sing Along: 7:00 p.m. 
Sunday, December 14, 2014
Open House: 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Christmas Concert: 7:00 p.m.

Since it's open to the public, I hereby invite every one of you reading this to come. I know you'll love it.

Personally, I consider the nativity scene to be sacred enough to deserve a fair amount of respect. It's one thing when a child makes a nativity scene with all their toys, including dinosaurs as the wise men's camels and Batman as an angel. Then, it's a sweet re-creation with a child's innocence and a pure desire for everyone to come and worship the sacred child. It's an entirely different matter when someone pokes fun at something sacred to get a bunch of Likes and Shares.

I look forward to seeing some real nativities, and I invite you to come and enjoy them, too.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I tend to agree with you. I do have Rubber Ducky Nativity, though, that makes me smile. I have mixed feelings about various alternative Nativities, like animal Nativities. Much depends on presentation, I think, and the feeling I get when I look at them. A Nativity scene should remind us of our Savior and fill us with joy, peace, and gratitude.