Friday, April 3, 2015

Christian Country Music

As we were driving back down from Washington, Mom and I heard a Country song which, from the lyrics we could hear, sounded like it had a good, patriotic, family-oriented, Christian message. Mom commented that many Country songs have Christian messages, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a really good thing.

It's a good thing for those who love Christian music because it gives them inspirational music that's far more entertaining and catchy than what they hear from other genres. Sometimes, while riding in the car with my brother, we listen to a Christian rock station, which is inspirational enough, I guess, but the lyrics of most of those songs are very weak. Sometimes, those songs rely on an excessive amount of repetition to fit rhyming patterns and to fill time. Mom and I encountered some of that as well, and it strained our patience for the Christian music station. In contrast, the Christian Country music we heard on the Country music stations was both uplifting and fun to listen to.

Christian Country music is also a good thing for those who like Country music because it gives them spiritual thoughts to chew on as they listen to the music that they love. A lot of non-Christian Country music has lyrics involving smoking, drinking, hooking up with people, and cheating on people. Some Country music glamorizes vices. In fact, one of my favorite Country songs is about a man who commits insurance fraud to fuel his smoking habit. That's not exactly the best role-model to follow. In contrast, I listened to a handful of Christian Country songs this morning that encouraged me to resist temptation and to leave this world a better place. We are influenced by the music we listen to. The more Country music lovers who hear inspiring, Christian messages, the better of the world will be.

I am very much in favor of making Christian music accessible and appealing to more people, and I'm also in favor of giving Country music lyrics with clean, uplifting messages. I'm not sure what makes Christian and Country music work so well together, but I'm glad it does. It gives me music that's both uplifting and fun to listen to, which is something I don't hear hardly anywhere else.

No comments: