Thursday, September 22, 2016

"That's What I'm Here For"

Yesterday, my catchphrase was "That's what I'm here for." I said it almost any time someone asked me to do something or thanked me for doing something. Despite the fact that I'm on vacation, I am also here to serve.

At one point, after throwing away a banana peel and claiming that that's what I was there for, my mom reminded me that I'm here to be on vacation and to have fun. I replied that that's what I said. While not strictly true, my claim that being here to serve and being here to have fun mean essentially the same thing does have a small amount of truth to it. Service can be fun, especially if you have a good attitude about it. While I don't think I'd pursue service opportunities just for fun, I do get some joy out of doing service.

Besides, I'm physically fit. I consider it my duty to help my travel companions. In fact, since God has blessed me with a certain amount of physical fitness, I consider it my duty to help just about everyone I can. It may be part of the purpose of my existence on earth, or, in other words, what I'm here for.

Whether I'm on vacation, at home, at work, or wherever I am, giving service is part of what I do, part of what I was meant to do. It's part of why I was made and why I'm here. It's what I'm here for.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Spoken like a true Paladin.