Monday, November 7, 2016

Really Trying to Blog

In his talk, Elder Cornish quoted President Hinckley as having said that "all the Lord expects of us is to try, but you have to really try!"

Elder Cornish went on to explain that "'Really trying' means doing the best we can, recognizing where we need to improve, and then trying again."

By this definition, I haven't been "really trying" to blog every day. Yes, I get a blog post posted each night before I go to bed, but it frequently happens that a given day's blog post isn't posted until after midnight, which is technically the next day.

I have decided that this is a problem for a few reasons. First, it means that I am technically not living up to my commitment to blog each day. Second, it means that I frequently end up stay up way too late because I know that I can't go to bed until I've blogged.

The solution, as I've said here several times before, is to blog earlier. If I blog earlier in the day, I can actually post it on the day it's due, and then I can go to bed at a reasonable hour.

But I haven't been doing that. I know what I need to do; I just haven't started doing it yet. I'm not "really trying" to blog daily because even though I "recogniz[e] where [I] need to improve," I haven't yet started "trying again."

I'm not going to make any empty promises. Not tonight, anyway. I'm not going to make some New-Year's-like resolution to blog earlier again from now on. I think I've learned better than to make a promise that I lack the willpower to keep.

But what I will promise is that when I shut down the computer a few minutes from now, I'm going to leave either this tab, or the tab with Elder Cornish's talk on it, open, so the first thing I'll see when I open up my web browser tomorrow is either my blog or the talk I'll want to blog about.

And I will try, really try, to blog earlier tomorrow.

No comments: