Sunday, May 21, 2017

Music With Meaning

Sometimes, I have a thought in my mind that is definitely blogworthy but that I don't want to blog about because this blog is too public. There are some faults I'm not yet willing to admit to. There are some ideas I'd rather not share. Sometimes, my thoughts and experiences are too personal to share on a public, non-anonymous blog. I hope you can forgive me for keeping them to myself.

Instead, let me share my testimony of the power of music. I sing in my ward's choir, and while we focus most of our thoughts on trying to hit the right notes at the right times, we do eventually become so familiar with the music that we can instead think about the words, and when we do, that's when the music reaches a much higher level. Putting words to pretty music is nice, but when the words also have a beautiful meaning, the combination of words and music can be overwhelmingly touching.

I am so grateful for the hymns of this church, and I'm grateful that I've been given opportunities to sing God's praises. There's something magical about music, even in instrumental form, and it only gets more magical when it's paired with words with spiritual meaning. I encourage everyone to study and ponder the hymns and their meanings, and not just appreciate the pretty music. Though the music itself is well worth appreciating, it becomes even more so when we also consider the meaning of the words.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Good blog post, but you really do not need to include the first paragraph.