Saturday, May 6, 2017

What Is My Most Important Assignment?

As I was typing the title of last night's blog post, I realized how ridiculous it was. Blogging may be my most important writing assignment, and it's certainly more important than any paper I've every written, but it's not the most important assignment I've ever received. When God told me to "blog" four years ago, that assignment changed my life, but that's not really why I'm here. God didn't send me to Earth just so I could write blog posts. Yes, He wants me to write blog posts, but that's not the most important thing He wants me to do. So, I have to wonder, what is?

What is my most important assignment? What is the one thing that God most wants me to do? Was serving my mission my most important assignment? I doubt it. I don't think I accomplished that much, so I don't think God would send me here just for that. And, if it was my most important assignment, I'm not sure why God would have me go on living my life for so long after it happened.

Maybe God wants me to be a father. My Patriarchal Blessing mentioned something about that. But I don't know. I haven't felt strongly impressed to attend the Singles Ward. I haven't felt any particular urges to date anyone. Maybe the time's just not right yet, but fatherhood doesn't seem to be the top thing on my agenda, at least not now.

Whatever my most important assignment is, I think it'll be something I'm uniquely qualified to do, which means that it'll involve writing. God wouldn't make me a half-decent writer if He didn't want me to write. But what should I write? Blog posts? There's got to be more to my life plan than that.

Perhaps God intends to incorporate some of my other talents and interests into this assignment as well. I like music, but I'm not good at making it. I like Fantasy, but that's not a skill. Maybe I could write fantasy novels, but God already has plenty of people to do that. What would God want me to write?

With any luck, and a lot of prodding, I'll find out what God wants me to do or write eventually. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure God wants me to keep writing blog posts for now. It may not be the purpose of my existence, but it's pretty important assignment, and, for all I know, it may be the most important assignment I have at the moment, even if it's not the most important assignment of my life.

No comments: