Friday, August 11, 2017

Faithful Despite Trials

In addition to teaching in Primary this week, I will also go Home Teaching. Whether by tradition of according to counsel from higher up, the Home Teachers I've known tend to teach from the First Presidency Message found in the current version of the Ensign, and I see no reason to break that tradition, especially since this month's First Presidency Message goes very well with my Primary lesson.

President Uchtdorf began this month's First Presidency message by talking about a young woman who joined the church and served faithfully in it despite the hardships she faced before and after her conversion. This is similar to the behavior of the men who passed the trial that was Zion's Camp. They, too, faced hardships yet remained faithful. Like them, we should try to stay faithful to God, no matter what trials are going on in our lives, knowing that those trials will serve to prove and strengthen our commitment to God.

From first-hand experience, I can tell you that it's difficult to stay true to God when life gets hard. That's what makes life a real test, but I know that it's possible to pass it. If the people in these stories were able to stay faithful despite their trials, I am certain that we can remain faithful despite ours. My hope is that I can use the success of these individuals to inspire confidence in those I'll be teaching this Sunday (and in myself). We will all face trials in our lives. The true test is not if we can survive them but whether we will remain faithful despite enduring them.

No comments: