Thursday, January 18, 2018

Famine, Affluence, and Fast Offerings

This evening, I read an article by Peter Singer titled Famine, Affluence, and Morality. In essence, his argument seemed to be that people in affluent countries should donate considerable sums of money to countries that are not affluent, for the purpose of alleviating famine and other suffering. As I've thought about the article, I've decided that I could stand to donate more money to charity, but I was grateful to know that I already was donating some money via Fast offerings. I am grateful for the church and the work it does to alleviate suffering throughout the world, and, especially as I think about my moral obligation to help others, I am grateful that I can contribute, in some small way, to the good the church does in the world.

No comments: