Friday, February 23, 2018

On Top of Things

This has been an interesting week. With Mom gone, the rest of us have had to do the things she regularly does, like cooking dinner, doing dishes, and cleaning the cat boxes (preferably in that order). It's been a lot of work and a little bit of a challenge, but it's also been fairly rewarding. Cleaning the cat boxes isn't much fun, but it isn't terrible, either. Doing dishes is somewhat therapeutic, and it's a nice feeling to have all the dishes clean at the end of the day. One of the biggest challenges has been cooking, since I normally don't cook much at all, but with my sister's guidance and recipes, my brother and I have been able to cook things that neither of us would have dreamed of trying on our own, and they've all been fairly successful. My brother and I have gained competence and confidence, and we've enjoyed the satisfaction of a job well done. Of course, we're still looking forward to Mom coming home. Even with our sister's help, we're not great cooks. But I'm happy to say that, for this week, between the three of us, we have managed to stay on top of things, and that satisfaction is a fantastic feeling.

1 comment:

Tom & Ruth said...

That's great! I think cooking is a skill everyone should learn. I believe it is everyone's responsibility to help with the cooking and cleaning. Starting around 10 years old, my kids are responsible for at least one family dinner each week. Tom cooks sometimes too, but because he's out of the house at a full time job, the rest of us do a lot more.
-Ruth