Monday, May 28, 2018

Modern Prophets Make More Sense (to me) than Ancient Allegories

What I learned most from Jacob 5 tonight is how grateful I am for modern prophets who share stories and analogies that better relate to our lives and experiences. I'm sure that the people who knew about how to take care of olive trees got way more out of that allegory than I ever did, just as the lessons I learn from D&D and Magic make more sense to me than they would have made to them. That's part of why modern prophets are so important; they can teach us the gospel using examples and analogies that we can understand.

All people have different experiences, and each generation is different from the last. Ancient prophets are worth studying, but some of their messages were best suited for people of previous generations. The messages of modern prophets are tailor-made for people of this generation. I appreciate the scriptures, but when a particular passage doesn't make sense to me, it might be wise to see if that scripture was explained by a more modern General Authority. It'd probably make more sense coming from one of them.

No comments: