Thursday, August 30, 2018

Planning the Introduction to the David and Bathsheba Lesson

I know where I want my lesson to end up: staying, analogously, as far away from the edge of the cliff as possible. But I haven't figured out yet how I want my lesson to begin. I'll have to tell (a kid-friendly version of) the story of David and Bathsheba, but how should I set it up?

Should I just jump right in? You remember from last week that David got married to Michal, one of King Saul's daughters, making David technically a prince. When King Saul died, David became king. One evening, while King David was standing on his rooftop... And the story can proceed from there. It's simple. It's direct. It still includes some summary, which I might expand on slightly, to remind the children that Saul got jealous of David and tried to kill him, but Jonathan, Saul's son and David's friend, saved David. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to review the previous lesson and jump into the story of the current lesson. But is that what I want to do?

When teaching a lesson, it's sometimes customary to start by telling the class what the lesson is about, or perhaps by illustrating the main point of the lesson by using an attention-grabbing activity. For example, in the lesson on David and Goliath, Brother Dahm used pieces of paper with challenges written on them to illustrate how challenges can help us grow and make progress. I could do something similar with this lesson. However, the Attention Activity for this lesson involves tying children's hands up with thread, and I'd rather not do that. Perhaps I could bring in the cliff analogy instead. We usually play a round of hangman at the beginning of the lesson, but we usually play without stakes. That is, there is no hangman. But this time, I might draw a cliff on the chalkboard and have a paper man take a step toward the edge of the cliff with every wrong guess and a step away from the cliff with every right guess. Then I can explain that wrong choices lead us into spiritual danger while right choices lead us away from danger.

That introduction sounds fun, but how could I transition into the story from there? I could say something vague about one person's wrong choices leading himself and a few others into great spiritual and/or spiritual danger and then jump into the summary and story. Or perhaps I could use the hangman phrase to help form a smoother transition from the activity to the story, but I can't think of such a phrase right now. Anyhow, I have a plan that'll get the job done. I'll start with "cliffman," say that wrong choices can lead to spiritual danger, and begin the summary and story from there. It's not the best introduction, but it'll work, and I still have a few days to think about how I could make the introduction better.

No comments: