Friday, August 30, 2019

All The Light I Need

In my everyday life, darkness isn't much of a problem anymore. I don't stumble around, bumping into and tripping over things. I can generally get around just fine. Previously, that was because I carried a flashlight on my person. These days, I don't even need that. Whenever I find myself in darkness, I fish my phone out of my pocket, set it to a white screen, and use the light from my phone's screen to see what's in front of me. I don't get much light from my phone, certainly not as much as I'd get from a real flashlight or from regular lights, but it's enough light to help me get by, and I'm perfectly satisfied navigating only by the light of my phone for a few minutes at a time on a regular basis.

In spiritual matters, I'm much harder to satisfy. I usually want to know the reasons for things. I want to know the whole plan, not just the next step of my part in that plan. Basically, I want more spiritual light than I really need. On its own, there's nothing wrong with that. Spiritual light is a good thing, and wanting more of it isn't bad. Still, I need to be willing to act on whatever amount of light I have, even if it's far less than I would like. I may only have a vague idea of what God wants me to do, without knowing what (specifically) would be the best thing to do or why God wants me to do that. Still, a vague idea may be enough. It's certainly enough to allow me to stumble in the right general direction. If that's all God needs from me right now, then that's all the light I really need.

When I navigate by the light of my phone, I only ever get a few steps' worth of light at a time, but that's enough to get me around the house without any issues. Similarly, when I navigate by the light of my faith, I can only see a short distance, but that's enough to get me a short distance of progress, and if the light moves with me, then I'm sure I'll be fine. Sure, I may want to see the whole path, including a detailed look at the places I'll be visiting along the way, but I don't have that much light, and, in a sense, I don't really need it. I have enough light to have a general idea of where I'm going. As long as I follow that light, that's all I really need.

No comments: