Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Walking Errands

Today, I went on some errands. I traveled on foot, by bus, and by light rail train. I took my time, explored my environment, and had fun. This is something I've been missing, spending most of my Summer on the Internet. Sure, I played games that involve exploration and discovery, and I let my curiosity lead to learning new things online, but it's very different to do those things outside, in person, in real life. I wandered through a park on a rooftop. I looked at art in a parkway by the Capitol. I even talked to a few people, including at least one person I didn't already know. It wasn't just an experience; it was a series of experiences, and I would have missed most of them if I could have driven from one errand to another or run all those errands digitally online. Running (or rather, walking) those errands on foot and on public transportation was really good for me. There are therapeutic elements to light exercise, appreciating art and nature, and interacting with people. I should engage with those things more often, and I probably shouldn't wait until school starts up again to do it.

Sure, the Internet and other modern conveniences make our lives faster and easier, and that's great, but by zipping from place to place as we normally do, we miss the opportunities to explore our environment along the way.

No comments: