Thursday, August 22, 2019

Perseverance vs Petering Out

You may or may not believe this, considering how long I've kept this blog going, but I generally struggle with perseverance. I get tired, I lose motivation, and sometimes, I feel like quitting. Usually, it's my sense of duty that keeps me going. On some occasions, I get my motivation back through healthier means. Sometimes, I just peter out.

I suppose that's normal, and, in some cases, it's not so bad. My blog may or may not be important, eternally speaking, but I know that my D&D games aren't. For example, if the Greenhorns never crash the Orzhov Gala and find out who and where Mazirek is and what he's up to, it won't be the end of the world. Well, not our world. It's okay if some things just end.

However, there are other things that should persist - things of eternal value and importance. I have some tasks that I must see through to the end, no matter how tired I get, physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually. I can't just "peter out" when it domes to fulfilling my calling or helping my family. I have responsibilities.

I suppose that's my sense of duty again. I'm glad I have that. Sure, it makes me work when I feel like resting, and that can get annoying, but it gets me to accomplish things that I would otherwise be to lazy to do. My sense of duty helps me persevere, even when I don't want to. That's why I'm glad I have the responsibilities I have: They keep me going. Everyone needs something that keeps them going when they'd rather quit. For me, it's a sense of obligation. Not the greatest motivator, maybe, but for me, it works well enough.

No comments: