Saturday, November 28, 2015

One of the Many Blessings of Blogging

Last night, I wrote that I had been asked to give a talk using Elder David A. Bednar's talk, "Therefore, They Hushed Their Fears." Actually, it had been last night when I was asked. (The person who had asked me had been unable to contact the person whom he had originally asked earlier in the week.) This short notice might have made the preparation of this talk difficult, but fortunately, I had already blogged about this talk at least twice. I hope not to recycle too much of the material from those two blog posts, but it certainly helps that I had already done the work of studying the topic and recording my thoughts.

I wonder if studying the scriptures could be done in the same way and produce similarly beneficial results. How hard would it be to fill a folder with word documents, with each folder representing a chapter of scripture, and each word document  representing a passage of scripture about which you had something to say? With such a system of files and notes, one could look up a scripture and view their past insights about it any time they wanted to, including at such times as when they wanted to find insights they could share with others.

Because I have already blogged about this talk, and could search through my blog posts for key words and phrases, I was able to quickly find noteworthy thoughts which I can share over the pulpit at church tomorrow. Having insights is good. Recording insights where you can quickly find them again when you need them can be even more helpful.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I think that lds.org is set up so you can keep notes, journal, bookmarks etc in your account which could probably serve this purpose. I am ashamed to admit I have not explored it much.