Monday, November 30, 2015

"Thanks for the Light"

A few days ago, I mentioned having said a heartfelt prayer of thanks to God for keeping a traffic light green long enough for me to pass through it. I think I should tell you more about that experience.

As I was biking to school one morning, I was having a mental conversation with God, something like a prayer, but more casual, and I would sometimes hear replies in my heart, just like having a real-time conversation with someone, as if over the phone. In essence, I was simply directing my thoughts to God, and He was directing some of His thoughts toward me.

One of my thoughts that morning was "I hope that light stays green." I wasn't asking God to keep it green. In fact, I think I made a point of telling Him that I wasn't asking for a miracle or anything. Whether the light stayed green or not, I would be okay with it. The light stayed green anyway, and I assumed that it was God's will that the light stay green that long, or maybe it was fate or luck, but I thought that it had nothing to do with my prayer or the blessing that I had made a point of not asking for.

Yet, as I ascended the bridge beyond the intersection, I felt the impression that I should thank God for keeping the light green. I thought that I would remember it in my evening prayer, but then I thought that I might forget about the experience by that night, if I even remembered to say an evening prayer at all (I had been slipping up lately). Besides, why wait? I decided to thank God for keeping the light green for me, while I was still climbing the bridge. Specifically, I said "Thanks for the light."

That instant, the phrase "Thanks for the light" took on a whole new meaning to me. I thought about the light of the Gospel and how much guidance it has given me in my life. I thought about the Light of Christ, and how it has led me away from temptation. I thought of light as symbolizing righteousness and purity, and I had to acknowledge that any righteousness or purity I may have now, I only have because of the influence of God. With these new meanings echoing in my mind, I reiterated my mental prayer of thanks to God. "Thanks for the light."

As we now enter the Christmas season, we will see a great number of lights. Some of them will represent the light that shone over Bethlehem when Jesus Christ was born. That light, I believe, represented the light that shines in our hearts, lighting our path to follow the Savior. This is a light that God gives to all people, so that all of us will have a light to follow that will bring us to Jesus Christ. This is the Light of Christ.

All people are born with the Light of Christ as a guiding influence in their lives. Some people call it their conscience. Whatever you call it, it is that still small feeling inside of you that encourages you to do what's right. It is your moral compass, and whether you know it or not, it points to the Savior. All people, Christians and non-Christians, have a symbolic Star of Bethlehem inside of them, pointing the way to God. All people have at least one reason to pray and tell God "Thank you for the light."

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Thank you for this wonderful lesson on prayer and light. Tevye has always been my hero because of his sincere conversations with God. You top Tevye. Thank you for sharing your light.

Liz said...

Thank you for sharing the light of this blog entry.