Friday, October 21, 2016

As Close as a Prayer

I know that you don't really need me to post ANOTHER blog post today, and I may technically not need to, either, since I posted a "blog post" warning you that I was about to post a bunch of blog posts, but I don't think that one counts. Besides, since I'm already setting a record for the highest number of blog posts I've posted on a single day; why not set that record one post higher?

In her October 2016 talk, The Soul’s Sincere Desire, Sister Carol F. McConkie shared some wisdom from the father of President Henry B. Eyring. Sister McConkie related that as President Eyring's father experienced a particularly painful and difficult trial, he turned to the Lord, teaching his children, by example, to "never forget that a loving God is as close as a prayer."

In our times of trial, we need to remember to turn to God for comfort. He is eager and able to comfort us and sustain us through any and all of our trials; all we have to do is ask. Sometimes, the help we receive from out Heavenly Father isn't as complete as we would like it to be. Sometimes, facing our trials is still a struggle, even with God's help. But God has promised that He "will not leave you comfortless," but that He "will come to you," if you call (See John 14:18). In life, we will have to face trials, but we will never have to face them alone.

I am grateful for God's ever-accessible love and comfort. I don't access that comfort as often as I should, but I'm glad to know and to be reminded that it's always there, always within reach, never farther than a few sincere words away. I know that God knows, from personal experience, how hard life is, and that He is always ready to comfort and to help those who experience it. He will be there for you. No matter what your trial is or what caused it, all you need to do is pray to God, and He will come and comfort you.

No comments: