Friday, October 21, 2016

Look to the Son

Saturday, October 16, 2016

Today, I joined a few of the youth of our ward in going through a corn maze. Like most mazes, this one was full of complex turns, and it was easy to forget which direction I was facing. But I had a trick up my sleeve. Before entering the maze, I made a note of where the sun was in the sky (thankfully, the sky was cloudy enough that you could look at the sun, but not so cloudy that you couldn't see it). As long as I glanced at the sun occasionally, I could keep track of which way I was facing, which helped me keep track of where I was while navigating the maze. And, since I entered the maze from the sun's side, I could just head toward the sun when I wanted to exit the maze. Looking to the sun helped me navigate the maze effectively, and it helped me get out of the maze safe and sound.

Similarly, we can safely navigate the maze of life by looking to the Son of God. He lived a perfect life, and thus showed us the way that we should live. By following His example, we can avoid many of the pitfalls and dead ends of life, and we can ultimately get home safe and sound.

I was grateful to have learned the trick of looking to the sun for help in navigating a maze, and I'm thankful for God's help in learning the wisdom of looking to His Son for help in getting through life. I still have to learn to look to Him more frequently and trust in Him more completely, but I know that He knows the way that I should go, and I know that I won't get too terribly lost as long as I follow Him. So, whenever life feels like a maze to you, remember that Jesus Christ has gone through this maze before, and you can look to Him to lead you through it.

No comments: