Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Flying Through Fog

In his General Women's Session talk in the October 2016 General Conference, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf spoke of the kind of faith I need to develop. He spoke of flying an airplane through thick fog, relying on his instruments and the guidance of the air traffic controller to let him know where he was and where he was going. He said:
I had to follow the guidance of someone with more accurate information than I had. Someone whom I could not see but whom I had learned to trust. Someone who could see what I could not. I had to trust and act accordingly to arrive safely at my destination.
I have not yet learned to trust God that much. Though I have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going, I don't yet trust Him enough for Him to tell me where to go or what to do. I don't listen to His guidance often enough. I don't often hear it, and even when I hear it, I don't always follow it, even though I know I should.

Those who are blind would do well to follow the guidance of those who can see. God sees far more than I can see. He knows what's going to happen next, and He knows exactly what would be best for me. He wants to help me. He wants to guide me and give me direction. And I am sure that I need that direction.

We are all, figuratively, flying through fog. We all need to watch our instruments and listen to air control, or we are all going to crash. We need to learn to trust the One who is leading us so He can lead us safely to our destinations. He knows where we need to go, and He knows who to gets us there. What we need to do is to listen, to trust, and to act accordingly. It's not easy, but it's the only way to safely fly through this fog.

No comments: