Monday, December 5, 2016

Character Test Cancelled

You know what? Not looking at the Light the World program ahead of time is a bad idea. Doing good is better than learning whether or not you would have done good anyway. Besides, what was I trying to prove, and to whom? My readers, some of whom know me quite well, already believe me to be a good person. And God already knows what kind of person I am, so testing myself on this challenge wouldn't really prove anything to Him.

I guess I was doing it for myself. I wanted measurable proof that I am a good person. That seems selfish of me, though it is important to have a good self esteem. Perhaps, rather than trying to prove to myself, with evidence, that I am a good person, I should just take your word for it. I'm not sure I would trust the evidence anyway, and I should also try to learn to trust your judgement. Besides, while it would be nice to have some evidence that I would be good just for the sake of being good, it would be even nicer to do good, even though I'm doing so partly just to participate in some seasonal program.

Not that it would've made much difference today. Today's goal was to heal the sick. I'm already an organ donor, I didn't really have time to donate blood today (though I could schedule an appointment for whenever I'll have time), and much of the rest of the suggestions for today seemed either too great to do (at least on short notice) or too small to be worth doing. I think I didn't quite cut it today. Four for Five. But I will make a conscious effort tomorrow, and I will start by acquainting myself with what I'm supposed to do.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Yes, you definitely are good. One of the best people I know.

Didn't you help your aged, sick mother and your chronically ill sister at least a little? You do every day. For me, I decided that yesterday counted if I tried not to get worse and tried not to spread too many germs.

But go ahead and schedule a life saving blood donation. :)