Monday, December 19, 2016

Storms of Life

I didn't help anyone calm the storm today. I am 15 for 19, though I did listen to Motab's performance of "Master, the Tempest is Raging," so I did technically follow at least one of the suggestions for today's Light the World challenge. Maybe I should count that, but I don't really think that counts.

As I was reviewing the suggestions, however, one of them stood out to me. After the main three suggestions, the foremost of the "other ways to participate" was to "Consider ways to reduce contention in your home."

Of course, it was foolish of me to take the idea of this challenge too literally. Though winter is a season fraught with literal rain- and snow-storms, life is also a season fraught with emotional and spiritual storms. I know of a few family members who are currently going through some intense emotional storms. Perhaps I ought to send out a few messages tomorrow. I don't think there's anything I can do to help them, but at least I can let them know that I'm thinking about them.

And when it comes to emotional storms, that's often all one can do. We can't always calm the storms in others' hearts, but we can weather the storms with them. Sometimes, it's comforting enough just to know that you're not alone.

I didn't help calm the storm today, but I will do what I can tomorrow. I know that my sympathy won't do anything to help the situations my loved ones are facing, but maybe it'll help them get the strength they need to face them. We may not be able to calm all the storms of life, but at least we can reach out to each other and help each other endure.

No comments: