Wednesday, December 14, 2016

More Good Than Normal

It's working.

Today, the Light the World challenge was to clothe the naked, so I went through my dresser and pulled out several of the T-Shirts I no longer wear (and which are still fit to be worn) and put them in a bag to be donated to a thrift store. This was, arguably, a good thing, and it's a thing which I wouldn't've bothered doing for a long time, were it not for the Light the World challenge. Today, this challenge got me to do a good thing which I would not otherwise have done.

This challenge is being a good influence in my life. Much of the good it would have me do, I am already doing, and some of the good it would have me do, I just didn't, but today, and on at least one other day that I can recall, I did some small token of good, just because the challenge called for it. That's all we really need sometimes. Just one small push in the right direction can encourage us to do good that we might not otherwise have done.

Sometimes, it's the Holy Spirit that provides us with the encouragement to do good. Sometimes, it's a friend or family member, or maybe even a neighbor or coworker who gives you the push. And sometimes, it's challenges like these that get us to go beyond the amount of good we would normally do and that help us become even better.

As noted a few times earlier this month, there are some good things that I regularly do. But there are some good things I don't do as often as I should. This challenge has now, at least twice, helped me to do more good in the world. If that's what it was designed to do, and I'm inclined to think it is, it's working.

No comments: