Tuesday, November 7, 2017

How Studying the Book of Mormon Can Help You Do Better In School (Or Anywhere Else)

I have recently recommitted to reading the Book of Mormon each day. There are many reasons for doing this, and one of those reasons is for the sake of my grades. So far, I'm doing well this semester, but Humanities gave me a little bit of trouble earlier, and Philosophy is getting more complex, so I wouldn't mind the extra help that President Russell M. Nelson suggested might come. In his recent General Conference talk, President Nelson said:
Immersing ourselves regularly in the truths of the Book of Mormon can be a life-changing experience. One of our missionary granddaughters, Sister Olivia Nelson, promised an investigator that if he would read the Book of Mormon daily, his test scores on his university exams would improve. He did, and they did.
Theoretically, studying the Book of Mormon daily could help me with my grades as well.

This help comes in a roundabout way. Studying the Book of Mormon won't help my grades directly, but it can help me get the Spirit, and the Spirit can help direct my thoughts and my studies and help me remember things during test time. Of course, I still have to commit time to studying for my classes as well as studying the Book of Mormon, but the results may well be worth it. If spending five minutes each day with the Book of Mormon can help me maintain my GPA, I'll take it.

Naturally, this help that the Spirit provides doesn't only apply toward getting better grades. The Spirit can help us with any number of things. Any task that involves memory, intelligence, creativity, or luck can be met more easily with the aid of the Spirit. And, arguably, every task involves at least some element of luck. So, if you do anything and feel like you could use some help doing it a bit better, you might consider enlisting the Spirit's help by reading the Book of Mormon daily or doing any number of Sunday School Answers, like praying and giving service. No matter what the task at hand is, having the Spirit with you can help you do it better.

No comments: