Saturday, January 12, 2019

Lord, I Would Follow Thee

I'm not sure what we'll be discussing in church tomorrow. I've heard that it'll probably be based on a talk from the most recent General Conference, but I have no idea which talk. However, I do know one thing that will certainly come up tomorrow: the hymn Lord, I Would Follow Thee, which will be sung by the choir, including me.

This hymn is essentially a prayer pledging to follow Christ's example in various ways and asking for His help in doing so. I wouldn't list it as one of my top ten favorite hymns, but it is one of my favorite types of hymns. I love hymns whose lyrics can be used as prayers, expressing gratitude, awe, dedication, or a desire for any of those things. I love hymns because they help us connect with God, and prayer hymns are especially good at doing that.

My choir performance tomorrow will mostly consist of trying to sing the right words at the right pitch at the right time, and I'll be concentrating pretty hard on that, but I'll still try to put a little bit of heart into the words I sing. Lord, I Would Follow Thee is a good song, mostly because it is also a good prayer.

No comments: