Saturday, November 19, 2016

Cutting Back on Commitments

I feel like I would do well to uncomplicate my life. I have to many obligations to too many people / groups. Frequently, my obligations come into conflict with each other, if for no other reason than that I lack the time and energy to keep them all. When that happens, I have to choose which obligations to keep and which obligations to break, and for someone who wants to be like a Paladin, the idea of breaking any commitment is a terrible one.

I would like to do all the things I'm supposed to do. I would like to be able to. I wish I had enough time, energy, and will-power to meet all my commitments. But I don't. Maybe I could, if I had better time-management skills, or simply more skill in general, but I don't. And I need to accept that I might just not be able to complete all my homework or do all my chores. It's not the end of the world. (Especially if all of my homework assignments combined only make up about 12% of my grade in that class, in which I am doing rather well. I can afford to lose a few points for an incomplete homework packet.)

So, I understand that I may need to make cuts, and it might even be okay for me to make a few cuts, but how do I decide what to cut and what not to cut? Which obligations can I afford not to meet? Not spending hours completing the last few pages of statistics homework might not have too bad of an effect on my grade, and the floor might be able to go without sweeping for another few days, but I really do need to practice my persuasive speech for my public speaking class (that's worth a few more points than my statistics homework), and, of course, my religious obligations are inviolable.

But which of my obligations count as religious ones? I have to keep my covenants, and I have covenanted to obey the commandments, and we have all been commanded to magnify our callings, which can include any number of obligations. Beyond the magnification of my callings (which is challenging enough), there are countless commandments, including several daily and weekly obligations which can take up several hours each week. Even just considering the religious obligations, there may be too much.

I need to cut back. I need to stop making so many promises. I need to stop holding myself to so many commitments. It sounds horrible, but it may be necessary for my emotional health. I need to not try to do so much. If I had fewer, easier homework assignments; fewer, easier callings; fewer family members to serve; and fewer commandments to keep, I might be able to do it all. But I don't, and I can't. Something has to give. But what can I give? What can I afford not to do when I have too many things that I have to do? Which, of my too-many-commitments-to-even-keep-track-of, can I afford not to keep?

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Seek ye first.... you know the rest. Make personal prayer and study a top priority. Use a planner. Ponder and pray about each commitment and each choice.

This is good advice. I should take it.