Friday, November 25, 2016

See, Ask, Serve

This afternoon, I overheard some children ask their mom for help getting a ball out of a tree. Figuring that I would see if they needed help, I came over, and sure enough, the ball was out of the mother's reach. I asked them if they could use a hand, and when they accepted my offer, I borrowed a stick from one of the kids, jumped, and poked the ball out of the tree. Then, in response to their thanks, I answered with what is now my catchphrase, "That's what I'm here for."

Now, what I did was almost intrusive. In fact, I still feel like it was a little intrusive. After all, I had no idea who these people were, and they had no idea who I was. I was a stranger, lurking around a mom and her kids. But I stated my intentions, asked for their permission, and thus validated both my presence in their midst and my interaction with them.

I don't know how many of you have the same problem as I have, a compulsive habit of helping others, but if any of you suffer from that condition, just bear in mind that the people you feel compelled to serve might not actually want your help. They might be intimidated by you, and they may misinterpret your intentions, so it's important to state your intentions clearly and ask for people's permission before you jump in and serve them.

Service is good, but consent is important. Before you help someone, ask them if they want you to help them or at least if they're willing to let you help them. And ask them politely and respectfully, and back off if they say no. Otherwise, your pull toward their service might be seen as more creepy than helpful.

No comments: