Monday, November 21, 2016

Justice, Mercy, and Ceasing to be God

I want to explore the concepts of justice and mercy and ceasing to be God. A few days ago, I noted that Alma chapter 42 mentions the possibility of God ceasing to be God, and I kept a tab open on that chapter because I thought it might be able to shed some insight on what conditions might cause that to happen. As it turns out, three verses do:
Verse 13 . . . Now the work of justice could not be destroyed; if so, God would cease to be God.

Verse 22 But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentance granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.

Verse 25 What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God.
So, God would cease to be God if the work(s) of justice was/were destroyed, or if justice was robbed by mercy. But what does that mean for justice and mercy?

I can understand justice being one of those eternal laws that even God Himself could not break (without dire consequences). Mercy cannot rob or destroy justice. However, in Alma 34: 15-16, we learn that mercy can "overpower" and "satisfy the demands" of justice:
And thus he [Christ] shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.

And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exercises no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption.
Mercy cannot destroy justice, but it can overpower it. Mercy cannot rob justice, but it can satisfy its demands. Am I the only one who's somewhat confused by this? I am sure I am not the only one to ask how justice and mercy are supposed to work, and I'm sure that someone who is smarter and/or more spiritual than I am, who asked the question before I did, has already found a satisfactory answer.

Perhaps I could find the answer through a more thorough reading of Alma 42 or by reading Elder Dalin H. Oaks' talk Love and Law. Someone must know something about how justice and mercy interact, other than that they destroy or demote God if they interact badly. I look forward to learning more about this topic in the near future. But in the meantime, I'll just be grateful that God knows how it all works, and that He knows that, ultimately, everything will work out. I don't really need to know the details, but I plan to study them later anyway, just because I'm curious. And who knows? Maybe I'll find or learn something important, or at least noteworthy and blogworthy, in my search to find out more about justice, mercy, and how God could cease to be God.

No comments: