Sunday, October 14, 2018

Humbled by Love

Today, I was released as a Primary Teacher. I had been teaching in Primary for only about two years, but during that time, I formed strong relationships with a few of my students. However, I had no idea how strong that relationship was until this afternoon, when two of my Primary kids hugged me, on the verge of tears, to say goodbye.

I'm not sure what I did to earn that kind of love. In fact, I'm not even sure I did earn it. Children are capable of a level of love that goes beyond any earning or deserving, much like someone else we know.

We can't earn and don't deserve the Savior's love any more than I earned or deserved the love of my Primary kids. Yet, Jesus loves us anyway, with an immeasurable amount of love. I am frequently amazed and humbled by this love. It's difficult, if not impossible, to imagine how much Jesus loves us, just as I couldn't have imagined how much those Primary children love me. I don't deserve that kind of love. I'm not sure I ever will. But I am thankful for it, and I will try to be worthy of it and pay it both back and forward.

I am overwhelmed by the amount of love I have felt, and I know that the Lord feels just as much love for each person who has ever lived. If that's not humbling, I'm not sure what is.