Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Joy

Today, I celebrated Christmas with my family. We got together, exchanged and unwrapped gifts, ate together, and played games. It was a wonderful day. Today felt like Christmas, and that taught me something about what makes Christmas feel like Christmas to me.

The most obviously Christmassy thing we did today was exchange gifts. We didn't sing carols or look at lights, and we didn't spend much time talking or thinking about Jesus, but I think we had a portion of Christ's spirit with us anyway, because of the joy we felt. We enjoyed giving each other gifts. We enjoyed making each other happy. We enjoyed spreading joy between us.

Naturally, Christmas is mostly about the birth of Jesus Christ, but I think that the main purpose of Christmas is to experience and spread joy.  Even focusing on Christ and His birth leads us to  experience feelings of joy. I think that joy is such a central part of Christmas that Christmas wouldn't feel like Christmas without it.

No comments: