Saturday, December 22, 2018

(How) Should I Decide Krusk's Fate?

I've been thinking about putting the fate of a marriage in the hands of a single die roll.

I am currently playing D&D as a pirate called Krusk Bloodfist. Before he was a pirate, Krusk was a regular sailor named Greg Davidson with a wife named Holly. (Any similarities to any real couples are purely coincidental. I just stole the names because they'd be easy to remember.) Greg's last interaction with Holly was him catching her in bed with another man. Assuming she was being raped, Greg pulled the man off of Holly and beat him to death. After this traumatizing event, Holly shut herself in their home, and Greg decided to give her some space and get himself a drink. The drink was drugged, Greg was shanghaied, and the two haven't been able to communicate with each other since.

Now, about two months later, Krusk Bloodfist is the captain of a pirate ship on a heading for the Port of Peril, the town in which his wife lives. Very soon, Krusk/Greg is going to have the conversation I've been thinking about for over half a year.

And it looks like I'm going to have to decide how that conversation goes.

Normally, the outcome would be up to a combination of me, the DM, and the dice. Krusk Bloodfist is my character. I decide what he does, or at least what he tries to do. Holly Davidson is not my character. I may have created her, but that doesn't mean I control her. In game terms, she is a Non-Player-Character or NPC (as opposed to Krusk, who is a Player Character or PC). The DM (Dungeon Master) controls the NPCs. However, this particular DM doesn't seem too strongly invested in my character's backstory. I don't think he'll be making any decisions for or about Holly, so both sides of this fateful conversation fall to me. I can decide what each person says, how each person feels, and how they decide to act.

I am having a hard time making those decisions.

I intentionally left a lot of questions unanswered about this situation, especially as they relate to Holly. I intended to let the DM make those decisions (whether Holly was raped or unfaithful and how she feels about all of this, especially after two months of unexplained absence), but it looks like I'll have to make those decisions after all, and I'm not sure which decisions to make.

One idea I had was to let the dice decide. I could easily roll dice to decide whether Holly was raped or not, whether she wants to stay married to Krusk, etc., but that seemed like a lot of die-rolling. A faster and simpler method is to roll a 20-sided die to decide, on a scale of 1 to 20, how well this conversation goes for Krusk. I'm tempted to use this method, when the time comes. This way, I could learn the fate of Krusk's relationship when he does, maintaining the anticipation as long as possible. It would also be quick, so I wouldn't have to take up too much game time resolving something about my character's backstory. It's not really relevant to the other players, so I don't want to waste too much of their time.

In preparation for the most important die roll of Krusk's life, I created a sort of chart that describes what each result would mean. I started with what the best and worst case scenarios would look like, then decided what the middle-most result would be, and filled in another few possibilities from there. As I wrote about these potential outcomes, I felt that some of these outcomes are more desirable for me than others. The best and worst case scenarios are dramatic, and the middle-most outcome is tragic, which makes it interesting for me, but the other outcomes I've written are kind of "meh." I might revise them. Or I might choose which potential outcome I like best and not roll the die at all.

It would be easy to let the die decide, on a scale from 1 to 20, how well things go for Krusk when he goes to talk to his wife. Or I could just decide how well things go, basing my decision on what would be the best or most interesting outcome. I could roll the die, and then reroll it if I don't like the result. But that's cheating. I should either decide or let the die decide. Either I'll leave it completely up to fate, or I'll take fate into my own hands.

Either choice has its pros and cons. If I choose Krusk's fate, that's somewhat anti-climactic. If I let the die choose, I run the risk of getting a result I don't like. One could argue that I should roll the die because we can't control fate. Krusk took his chances, and so should I. But one could also argue that we can influence fate, and when we can, we should. It would probably be morally good for me to choose what I think would be the best outcome for this D&D group and the story we're making together. It's a decision of very small importance, but if it could influence the happiness of others, I should at least consider it.

Krusk's fate has not yet been decided. I haven't even decided how his fate will be decided. Maybe I should flip a coin. No, I need to decide. I need to at least decide if and how I will decide Krusk's fate.

No comments: