Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Acceptance Without Explanation

I took an Algebra class in college a while back, and when I did, I would always want to know how each formula worked. Often, my instructor was willing to take the time to teach the class how the formula worked, but I also remember there being times when the instructor told us that we would just have to take his word for it. The math involved in explaining that particular formula was well above our level, and there was no way we would understand it without learning a bunch of other math first, and we just weren't there yet. And at those times, though I was a bit disappointed with not knowing why or how the formula worked, I found myself able to be willing to apply the formula, just trusting that the instructor's formula was correct.

If I can extend that kind of trust to someone who teaches algebra at a community college, I can certainly extend that kind of trust to God.

God gives us lots of commandments. With many of those commandments, He also gives us explanations of why we should or shouldn't do this or that. However, there are times when God asks us to just take His word for it and trust that something is good or bad, based only on His say-so, even though we wouldn't really understand why. At those times, I sometimes get frustrated with God. I like to know why God wants me to do this and don't do that or support this and oppose that. I know there must be an explanation, and I want to know what it is.

However, I know that, sometimes, I'm just not ready. There are principles I'm not yet prepared to learn and factors that I don't yet understand. I'm sure that if I knew everything that God knows, it would all make perfect sense to me, but I don't know anywhere near that much, and I probably couldn't even comprehend the number of things that He knows that I don't. In time, I will learn the explanations, and the commandments will all make sense to me. In the meantime, I should extend to God the same courtesy I extended to my algebra teacher and accept His teachings, with or without explanations.

No comments: