Thursday, May 2, 2019

Personal Scripture Pondering

When I restarted my personal scripture reading, I didn't commit to reading a certain number of verses every day, and I certainly didn't commit to reading a chapter every day. Instead, I started with a more manageable goal of reading a few verses until I found a spiritual thought worth pondering and then pondering on that thought for a minute or so. It's a lax goal that's easy to meet, but one that emphasizes what I consider to be the point of reading the scriptures in the first place.

The scriptures are full of messages. We could blaze past those messages in an attempt the read the whole book within a certain period of time. Alternatively, we could read the scriptures at a more leisurely pace, taking all the time we want with whatever insights we want to focus on.

Granted, with the later method, one should probably establish how much time one wishes to spend searching the scriptures and pondering whatever insights come up. Also, I'm not sure this method would be ideal for group study. I just know that it works for me. Additionally, I must admit that there are few wrong ways to study the scriptures, and following just about any method would be better than not reading the scriptures at all.

Still, however one reads the scriptures, I think it's important to think about them. They won't do us much good if we don't.

No comments: