Thursday, June 13, 2019

Boros Legion Rules and Regulations

Several months ago now, I bought a Boros Legion Guild Kit, which included a Magic deck, deck box, spindown life counter die, sticker, and enamel pin, all based on the Boros Legion, one of the ten guilds of Ravnica in Magic: the Gathering. The Boros, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, are basically the military of Ravnica. They fight the forces of evil and chaos that threaten to tear the city apart. According to the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, if you want to be a paladin or a knight in shining armor, the Boros Legion might be a good fit.

The Guild Kit also contained a 5x10.5 inch card with a picture of the Guildleader on one side and a list of "Boros Legion Rules and Regulations" on the other. The six rules listed on the card are more like rules to live by than they are like military regulations, but as rules to live by, they're pretty solid. I thought I'd list them here and possibly blog more about the individual rules later. I'll add numbers for convenience's sake, and I'll modify the capitalization to reflect the emphatic larger and smaller font sizes in the original, but I'll leave the punctuation unchanged.

1. STAND TALL. Even your posture should embody justice!
2. ACT WITH HONOR in all things.
3. PROTECT the innocent, at any cost.
4. You are never truly off duty. EVIL NEVER RESTS!
5. Stay in top PHYSICAL CONDITION.
6. If you see evil, CRUSH IT.

While I have some concerns about the last rule on this list, the rest of these rules, and this list of rules as a whole, seem like fairly good guidelines for life. Acting with honor and protecting the innocent are definitely worthy goals, having good posture and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is certainly good advice, and remembering that one must be constantly vigilant and diligent against evil is vital to one's spiritual well-being. I wonder how these rules would define "evil" and how literally they intend me to "crush it," but there are interpretations of this rule that I can live by, so I'll let those questions rest for now and instead focus more on the five other rules, particularly those that govern moral behavior, not just physical behavior.

It is good and wise to act with honor, to protect the innocent, and to diligently fight against evil (at least spiritually, if not physically). I'll put this list of rules and regulations somewhere I can see it often. If nothing else, it's good life advice, and I intend to follow it.

No comments: