Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Post-Mortal Interview

Included in President Henry B. Eyring's talk on The Power of Sustaining Faith is the reminder that, someday, we will all have a post-mortal interview with the Lord.

I'm not really looking forward to that. I find God somewhat intimidating, despite the fact that He's my Father. And I especially don't want to have to go over all the dumb mistakes I've made in my life.

Fortunately, I may not have to. D&D 58:42 says "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." If the Lord doesn't remember my sins, He probably won't remember to ask me about them.

At any rate, whether He asks me about my sins or not, I'll feel a lot better in that interview if I can honestly say that I've put them behind me. Job interviews often cover the interviewee's weaknesses, and it's fair to say that we all have them, so there's no sense in being ashamed of that, but it feels a lot better to discuss weaknesses that we've already learned from and overcome than ones that we still struggle with, at least in my limited experience.

So, we are going to be interviewed, at the end of it all. During that interview, how we feel about the experience will depend largely on what we do now. So, I hope we make wise decisions and fully repent of our sins before they have a chance to come up in the interview. I, for one, can think of a few things I would rather not have come up in my post-mortal interview. Then, I guess I have some repenting to do.

No comments: