Friday, August 21, 2020

God's Patience

Helaman 4:15 And it came to pass that they did repent, and inasmuch as they did repent they did begin to prosper.

It often astonishes me how patient God is with us. These are people who were guilty of all kinds of sins and iniquities, and they had lost the favor of the Lord. Yet, when they repented of their sins, they regained God's favor and were blessed again. God is sometimes slow to hear the cries of those who had been wicked, but He never ignores them completely. As long as people are repenting and changing for the better, the Lord will be with them to strengthen them and to help them repent. As the Lord Himself said, "Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me" (Mosiah 26:30).

I am grateful that God has that kind of patience. I'm grateful that our sins don't need to hold us back any longer than we let them. I'm grateful that God continues to be willing to forgive us, no matter how far or how many times we have fallen. God is a God of justice, but He is a God of mercy also, and I'm grateful that His mercy is extended to us, both farther and longer than we probably deserve. God's patience with us is incredible, and while we shouldn't try to test His patience or rely on it any more than we have to, it's good to know that God is capable of exercising an incredible amount of patience.

No comments: