Monday, November 2, 2009

Dear Home - November 2, 2009

Dear Home,


First things first this week. Last week, as with most weeks, I had very little time to compose my general Email home because I had spent so much time with individual Emails. Not this week. This week, I'm writing my blog post first.

And in the spirit of 'first things first', I'll list the news item of greatest importance first: I got transfered last week. Two weeks ago, I forgot to warn you all that there was a chance that I would get transfered. Sorry about that. =( I promise that won't happen this transfer. Last week, I would've told you, but after the Devestation, I was in such a rush to send out ANYTHING that the thought of warning you had completely slipped my mind. I didn't think I was going to get transfered anyway. But unfortunately, as my mother had predicted, Elder George and I had both been transfered. Elder George went to Thompson, Manitoba (( Note to Mom: But not before he gave me his Email address )), and I got transfered to 206-535 3 Ave N, Saskatoon SK (I don't know the postal code yet, but I'll figure it out.) An area called Oakwood.

Now, to answer a few of the questions that my loyal readers have sent in. Mom, unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of fall colors this year. There was a random freeze that killed most of the leaves before they changed color. Better luck next year.

I was also asked how my Thanksgiving was. It was good! Elder George, whose father is a professional cook, made us a delicious thanksgiving dinner with mashed potatoes, corn, cornbread and stuffing. It was SO good! There was no turkey, like a normal Thanksgiving dinner in either of our countries would require, but there was some pumpkin pie that a member had given us, so I would count it as a good meal. ^^ Certainly much better than a normal meal a missionary eats. xD

My Halloween was also good. ^^ It started as a normal day in the life of a missionary. Testimonies bourne, lives changed, the usual. But for dinner (since missionaries don't go door-to-door on halloween night) the Gurneys, a member family in this ward, invited us over for pizza, too much candy, and a game of Yahtzee. We had a lot of fun. ^^
That might be it for the important things. Now I'll move on to the trivial things.

Here, people wear a lot of beanies, but they don't call them beanies. They call them 'tooks'. At least, that's what I thought. A week or two ago, I saw an advertizement for articles of clothing called 'toques'. Apparently, 'toques' is a French word. It still /sounds/ like 'tooks'.

Hot Chocolate is good, but it can be made even better. You know how it says 'just add hot water'? Add hot milk instead. So much creamier. SO much better. ^^

There are a surprising number of Chevy Cavaliers in Canada, especially, it seems, in Saskatoon. One day, I decided to count all the Cavaliers I saw. That day, last Friday, I saw no less than FIFTY of them! I was very surprised.

'Kay, I /think that's about it. I don't have a trivia question for you this time, but if you could find the talk 'Turning Knowledge into Wisdom' by Marrion Romney (who was in the First Presidency at the time), and mail me a copy (once I send you the postal code), that would be great! ^^
Your somewhat less rushed than usual missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

2 comments:

Spencer and Jessica said...

Elder George got transferred to an area I always wanted to serve in but never did. As far as the Cavaliers go those were the missionary vehicles we had when I was there. Back to S'toon, eh! Good luck in your missionary work.

Kristine said...

Really, you'd never heard of a toque before??? I guess there isn't much use for them in California (insert green with envy grin)!! Toques are very good at keeping your noggin' warm when winter truly comes a callin'. Welcome to Saskatoon-hard to believe you are only a 5 hour drive away from us!!