Thursday, May 16, 2013

Another Poor Morning

I'm not doing well this morning. It isn't because I stayed up too late last night. Well, okay, I did stay up kinda late last night, but I'm not too tired. The reason I'm doing poorly today is that I keep getting distracted. Remember those distractions I was talking about being helpful in escaping temptation in Alma 53:5? I probably said so there, but they can work against you, too.

I've heard it said that all that is needed for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing. And, unfortunately, Satan's pretty good at getting me to do nothing. I mean, I did laundry, but I haven't posted on my blog yet, and there were other things I was going to do this morning, too. I'll do them once I've finished blogging.

I need to refocus again. It's so ridiculous how frequently I need to go back and relearn the basics. Things like faith, repentance, obedience, and prayer. I need to pray more frequently. I'm sure real Paladins would pray all the time. I should pray more. I should do more. Half a day wasted because I spent so much time on the computer. Not a good way to start a day. I'll have to do better tomorrow.

4 comments:

motherof8 said...

Pick yourself up. Dust yourself off. Start over again.

Sometimes when I am having a bad day, I will go take a shower and put on different clothes. Fresh start. Pray.

Also, do something really active like run the dog. Good for you, good for the dog.

Spend some time goal setting. You like to have a schedule. Think about what you want to/ should do (including job hunting and writing), set some goals - long and short term. Set up a (flexible) schedule. Plan rewards for yourself. Accomplish a task, earn game time. or whatever.

you can do it!

Andrew Robarts said...

That's some good advice.

The shower and change idea seems really interesting. I may have to try that one.

And running the dog might be good.

My main concern is the need to focus my mind on what I need to do. A schedule would help with that. On some of my best (most productive) days, I've had a to-do list with things that I can accomplish in just an hour or so. So I look at the list, think 'what do I need to do next?' Then I focus on that task, complete it, go back to the list and check it off, feel good about myself, then find the next item on the list that needs doing.

It's not really a schedule unless things have to be done at certain times, but if I want to get a list of things done by the end of the day, and I've done more than half of them by the middle of the day, I'm ahead of schedule. When that happens, sometimes I add things to the list, just because I know I can do them.

You know, I think I'm going to go start a list for today right now. =)

motherof8 said...

:)
<3

Michaela Stephens said...

I know the feeling.

One of my strategies for escaping distraction is to have a to do list of things and to keep it near me all the time so that I can look at it and remind myself. It helps me refocus on what is most important.