Friday, May 24, 2013

Help for Those That Lack Hope

In October of 1980, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gave a devotional at BYU. The title of his talk was For Times of Trouble. I didn't read the full message because it was very long, but I did find a quote from that message that I really like.



I need that reminder today. Most of Elder Holland's message was about self-doubt, discouragement, and fear. Basically, he was saying that these are tools of the adversary, which he uses to try to disable us and make us feel that we're incapable of doing the right thing. The antidote is feelings like hope and faith. We can trust in the Lord and is plan and His timing, even if things, from a mortal perspective, seem hopeless.

I'm not feeling good today. That's not bad grammar in this case. It's not that I don't feel healthy, it's that I don't feel good. I'm feeling a lot of self-doubt and discouragement.

But I just got an idea.

I while back, on Facebook, I saw a quote that says "Do more of what makes you awesome," so just now, I wrote a quick list of a few things that make me awesome, a few things that I like about myself. It's a short list, but it gave me a few ideas. Now, I'm going to put some of those ideas into action. I'm going to go out and DO more of what makes me awesome.

***

I feel a little better now. Perhaps that idea I had was inspired to help me do good and feel better. Maybe that was a manifestation of the help Elder Holland was talking about in his quote. Sometimes, God lets us struggle because struggling is how we grow, but even when it doesn't feel like it, He's always there to lend us a hand when we really need it. I'm glad He was there to give me a little help today.

No comments: