Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Good, The Corrupt, and the "Neutral"

The other night, in family scripture study, we read Matthew Chapter 7, in which Jesus concludes the Sermon on the Mount. Many sermons, and many blog posts, could be based on what Jesus says in that one chapter, and I'm certain that many have. I'd like to add another, because as I was reading one verse stood out to me, giving me and insight that's easy to overlook.

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 
Matthew 7: 17-20

 Verses 17 and 18 tell us of two types of trees (symbolic of people) that are polar opposites of each other; "good" trees and "corrupt" trees. Good trees produce good fruit, and corrupt trees bring forth evil fruit. Linking this analogy to people, it's basically saying that good people do good things and corrupt people do evil things. Now, without getting into what's suggested by verse 18 (I don't truly understand it myself), I'd like to point out something in verse 19 that caught my attention. "Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire." Or, every person that doeth not good works is hewn down, and cast into "the fire."

A basic understanding of religion tells people that Heaven is a good place for good people who do good things, and hell is a bad place for bad people who do bad things. But what about those who are neutral? Those who are neutral are neither good enough for Heaven or bad enough for hell, so what happens to them?

Verse 19 doesn't leave much room for neutrality. Either you're doing good or you're not. The line has been drawn, and it lies just to the north of neutrality. Neal A. Maxwell has written, "If, in the end, you have not chosen Jesus Christ it will not matter what you have chosen."

So now that we know where the line is truly drawn, where do we stand in relation to it? That's a topic for self-evaluation, so I won't go much into it, but I can speak for myself and say that I could be doing a lot better. I'm not doing evil (at least, I don't think I am) but I could easily be doing better in my own life and more good in the lives of others. I'm on the good side of the line, I think, but I'm a little bit closer to neutral than I feel comfortable being now that I know that neutrality isn't really an option. The bottom line is that I need to shape up, or in other words, Repent. I get the feeling God's been trying to tell me that for a long time.

No comments: