Monday, September 30, 2013

Astrology vs General Conference - Personal Messages

I don't understand Astrology. I get that the stars form identifiable patterns that cycle through the sky, and they're fun to follow, but I really don't think that which constellation was in the sky when you were born has any effect on your personality unless you choose for it to. And I certainly don't think that the positions or brightness of stars have any prophetic value, especially not in the immediate futures of individuals. As Wierd Al correctly guesses, I "find it inconceivable, or, at the very least, a bit unlikely that the relative positions of the planets and the stars could have a special [deep?] significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only [me]."

I think the universe is too big to care enough to align stars and planets into patterns that'd be visible from Earth so that the small percentage of people who actually do think the stars are trying to tell them something will get a "heads up" about how their love life will go over the next week or two, or something equally trivial.

In a similar manner, I think that if God got a once-every-six-months shot at sending a pack of messages out to the entire world, I highly doubt that He'd spend even a second of that precious time sending an individualized message to me, just to answer my petty concerns. And yet...

In April 2011, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland stood up at once of those once-every-six-months General Conferences and said this:
If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch on your circumstance, sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you.

God cares about us. He cares about each of us. He knows our individual circumstances, and He knows what we need to hear. Now, many of us have similar problems and concerns, so that makes His job a little bit easier, but if I understand Elder Holland correctly, and if there were no other way to get a personal message through to you, even if you were the only person on Earth who needed to hear what God wanted to say to you, I believe He would say it through one of His Apostles at General Conference. He'd take a minute out of their brief time to send a personal message, just to you, to touch your heart, if you're listening.

God loves you. He loves you so much, I wouldn't be greatly surprised if He'd be willing to rearrange the heavens, if it would help you. Maybe God does send us messages through the stars. I kind of doubt it, but I must admit that it's possible, and if there were no other way to send a message to us, I believe He would do it. But there is another way. God doesn't need to move stars to talk to us. He can talk directly to our hearts. And if our hearts can't feel the message, He can talk to us through the scriptures and through lessons at church. And if we're not paying enough attention there either, He could have one of His powerhouse Apostles shout it over the pulpit and broadcast it to all the world. He'd do whatever it takes to get the message across, because God's messages are what will really help us get through life and return to live with Him again.

It's hard to imagine that God cares enough about me, one individual human being, to send a message to a member of the First Presidency, or a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, or to one of the Seventies who'll be speaking in Conference, and tell them "Say this. There's one young man in Sacramento who needs to hear this. Say it to him." I just can't believe it. Such personal, individual love. It's almost too much to imagine. But then again, God is filled with an immeasurable amount of love, more than any human mind can imagine. Maybe the stars don't care enough to send us personal messages, but I bet God does.

No comments: