Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Followers of Christ

I'm teaching in church again next Sunday, but in a different class. In Priesthood and Relief Society, we have a monthly lesson based on a talk or two from the most recent General Conference. The two talks I've been asked to share a lesson from are Followers of Christ by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, and The Home: The School of Life by Elder Enrique R. Falabella. I'm not sure yet what common threads I can tie between these two talks to make a lesson the is contributed to by both talks, so I may have to simply study them both until I find a thought they have in common.

Elder Oaks' talk seemed to focus on the teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the New Testament, and what we do, and must do, in order to be His followers. There is some question in some religious circles as to whether Mormons are Christians. To those questions, I might ask "What makes one a Christian?" I believe that a Christian is one who believes in and tries to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. While on my mission, I heard from non-members that Mormons are not Christians because supposedly the Jesus we worship is different than everyone else's Jesus, but I've yet to hear any logical explanation as to what the differences are. Speaking of the Jesus Christ described in the King James Version of the New Testament, that is the Jesus Christ I worship. If you have a problem with "my Jesus," you have a problem with that one.

While I admit that some churches disagree on the exact meanings of some of Christ's teachings, I don't think the differences are severe enough to make someone non-Christian. We can all agree on basic Christ-like qualities, such as patience, charity, goodness, and faith. And certainly Jesus taught us to be kind to one another, which kindness (I should think!) includes not insulting each other's religions. Yes, religions vary, and yes, Jesus spoke very strongly about certain religious leaders of His day, but while He has the authority to judge the world, following Him does not give us the authority to judge others. Don't most Christians believe that Jesus taught "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7: 1)? Is it really our place to tell someone else whether or not they're a real Christian?

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Another excellent, thoughtful, and timely post. I am so glad you blog.