Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Lord's Prayer - Deliver Us From Evil

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil...
Matthew 6: 13

Again, with this scripture, translations vary, and in this case, the meaning does change. In the JST, this scripture reads "And suffer us not to be led into temptation, but deliver us from evil..." The difference is that God doesn't lead us into temptation, Satan does. In this prayer, we're asking God to help us escape temptation.

This part of the prayer confuses me, to be honest. It seems to me that God would want to help us resist temptation anyway, whether we ask Him to help us or not. But as I think about it, maybe this is part of the prayer just to get us to think about it. Usually, Satan attacks us so subtly, that we don't even realize that we're being tempted. By reminding ourselves that the temptations are coming, we put ourselves in a better position to recognize them and resist them.

That's really all I've got right now, unfortunately. I have a minor headache and can't think quite as clearly as I usually do. Maybe a shower would help. Anyway, lame blog post. Sorry. Better luck next time.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

"Usually, Satan attacks us so subtly, that we don't even realize that we're being tempted. By reminding ourselves that the temptations are coming, we put ourselves in a better position to recognize them and resist them."
Good point! I need to remember to be more watchful and on the alert so I can be prepared to fend of sneak attacks.

Andrew Robarts said...

Sound the war-cry: Watch and Pray!

I think whoever wrote that hymn (Hope of Israel) knew what they were talking about.