Thursday, January 29, 2015

Doors and Windows and Bread

When Maria was asked to leave the abbey where she was learning to be a nun, to go be a governess for the Von Trapp family, she said, "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." A few days ago, the Lord "closed the door" on our internet connection. This has proved to be an inconvenience for my family and me, given our online classes and desire to keep in touch with others. It turns out that we just can't do the things we need and want to do without the internet. Thankfully, we have we have portable, web-enabled devices that can take advantage of the free wi-fi offered at various locations, and we have access to the internet through computers at libraries. It's less convenient than using the internet at home, but it's still doable. We can still meet our commitments, and even enjoy some more recreational uses of the internet, even though our own internet connection is down.

God is never going to confront us with an impossible task. If He gives us something to do, He will give us the tools we need to do it. If those tools break, He'll give us other tools. They may not work as well or as easily, but they'll get the job done.

Today, I was trying to figure out how I was going to blog and do my math homework, despite having limited time in which I could access the school's library's computers. I wanted to attend an Institute class (partly because I was counting on the Institute's bread to serve as my lunch today), but it looked like I'd have to choose either staying at Institute and having lunch or blogging, and I had to blog. Just then, my brother arrived at the Institute and allowed me to use the laptop on which I'm writing this blog post. This allowed me to stay for a devotional message and a class on Proverbs, and a delicious slice of warm bread, while still managing to blog today. As far as I'm concerned, that's  something of a miracle.

I'm grateful for experiences that allow us to learn from hardships and inconveniences. I'll probably blog about learning from hardships tomorrow, or some other time soon. In the meantime, I'm going to get a slice of bread, and thank God and my brother for making it possible for me to stay and enjoy it.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Good perspective and insight.

As to the computer, it was loaned to the two of you. It was a blessing that you were both there at the same time.