Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pondering Paths

Previously, I blogged about considering your ways, thinking about what you're doing, and using that contemplation to help you make wise choices. At first, I thought that President Thomas S. Monson's talk, Ponder the Path of Thy Feet, would be another message along those same lines, but it wasn't. It had much more to do with following the Savior's example than with - Wow. Was I really about to say that?

I was about to say that President Monson's talk had more to do with following the Savior's example than with making wise choices, but seriously, what wiser choice could we possibly make? Jesus is our exemplar, our perfect example. He marked the path that leads to salvation and exaltation. For me to imply that following Him isn't a wise choice would be insane. I must have gone temporarily insane a few moments ago.

Being given the gift of agency, each of us want to make our own choices and decisions, and certainly we're each entitled to do that. But if we want to make wise choices, we should look to people who are more wise than we are for examples and advice. Deeper wisdom is found in acknowledging that some people's wisdom is deeper than our own. Sure, we could choose our own path and walk our own way, but that may not go so well for us as it would if we followed a trustworthy guide. Making our own choices, we're bound to make mistakes, but I know that we'll make fewer mistakes and wrong turns if we follow the guidance of the One who never once stepped off of the path of righteousness.

It's true that there's wisdom in considering our choices and thinking carefully about them before we make decisions, but when it comes time to make the decision, how will we choose? Will we do what we think is best, or will we do what we think the Savior would do? Hopefully, those two things will lead you to the same choice, but if they don't, which choice will you make?

Going back to that Tea or Poison question, I know that Jesus would never commit any sin, no matter how small, even if His life depended on it. If drinking tea really is a sin, Jesus would have taken the poison, if there really was no other choice. Knowing that, if I were now faced with the choice of adding one more sin to my permanent record or going back home to face my Eternal Judge without having fully repented of my other sins, I think I'd just have to take my chances with the mercy of the Almighty. Now that I think about it, every sin ever committed puts more weight on Jesus' back as He bore our sins through the Atonement. I should rather die than add to that burden, even if that means being judged before I feel fully ready.

Thankfully, we all have better options than dying or sinning. We can live and do good. We can live and not sin. Jesus did it, and as we follow His example, with His help, so can we. I'd be very surprised if any of us were forced to choose between drinking tea or poison. Very few people in history were ever faced with the choice of committing sin or being put to death (and most of them probably would have been put to death anyway). We can choose righteousness. Even if there are dire consequences, choosing the right will always be the right choice, and it will always mean following the Savior.

When we "consider our ways," we should consider Isaiah 55: 8-9.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. 
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As we choose our path, may we take the higher road by following the path marked by the Savior.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

There must be something wrong with me. Altogether too often when presented with "What would Jesus do?" I think, "HE would not have gotten Himself into this situation." and/or "I really don't know." Sure there are lots of times when the answer is fairly clear, but... well, sometimes it is not that easier. Hopefully (and I am sure it does!) it gets easier the more we try to follow His example.