Tuesday, June 2, 2015

I'll Keep Trying

I did not blog on the day before yesterday. There is a blog post that was posted on the day before yesterday, but that's because it was posted after midnight the night before. If that post counted for the day before yesterday, then it didn't count for the day before that. Either way you look at it, if I'm truly being honest with myself, I missed a day.

Now, normally, missing a day of blogging isn't a terrible thing. I don't write in my journal every night, and that doesn't matter too terribly much, so why should it bother me that I missed a day of blogging? Partly, the reason I'm bothered by missing a day is that I had made a commitment to blog daily. I had promised God that I would blog every day. Also, until recently, it's a commitment that I had managed to keep.

Keeping commitments is important to me, but perseverance is not my strong suit. I could have imagined me going a month or two blogging every day, but I never thought I'd be able to blog every day for several months, let alone a year or two. Keeping this blog going is something that I'm proud of, and I was especially proud of being able to say that, except for a few days when I literally could not have blogged, I had never missed a day.

But now I have. I've missed at least one day of blogging. I've failed to keep the commitment. Naturally, I don't feel really great about that. But thankfully, God, in His infinite mercy, made a way for us to reforge broken covenants and repent of having fallen short.

Usually, that way is by partaking of the Sacrament. When we partake of the Sacrament, we renew every covenant we've made with God, or at least every sacred covenant we made as part of an ordinance. My blogging commitment, and the commitments we make to each other, are even easier to remake. I can remake my blogging commitment by deciding to make a renewed effort to blog every day, which I already did.

Sometimes, when a person fails to keep a commitment or to do what they know they should, there's a temptation to give up. For a moment, I was slightly tempted to believe that I don't have to blog every day because blogging isn't all that important. Besides, I can no longer say that I've blogged every day since early February two years ago. I'm never going to get that back. Why bother to continue?

Because it's important. At least, it is to me. And missing one day is not a good reason to miss another. You know what they say about falling off horses. The same goes for failing to blog, or breaking any other commitment or commandment. Most of us do our best to do what we promise to do, but even with the best of intentions, we sometimes fall short. When that happens, we don't just give up completely; we keep trying. I am going to keep trying to keep my commitment to blog daily, no matter how many days I miss between now and whenever I stop blogging.

No comments: