Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Theology for House Pets

I've heard that the difference between dogs and cats is that because we feed them, shelter them, open doors for them, and love them, dogs believe that we're gods, while cats, because we feed them, shelter them, opens doors for them, and love them, believe that they are gods. Now, this was just a silly saying someone posted on the internet, but it raises the question: Is it more God-like to serve or to be served? Is it more God-like to be powerful or to be obeyed?

Some would argue that the ability to control others is a higher form of power, but it's not the kind of power I would want. If I were a God, I would rather have the ability to do things myself than to be personally powerless and have powerful servants. But whichever form the power takes, I believe that it's more in-line with God's nature to serve others than to expect others to serve us. Yes, God does ask for our obedience, but that's more for our benefit than His. Meanwhile, there are countless miracles granted and prayers answered by God for our benefit every day. God serves us much more than we are even able to serve Him.

All in all, I think that dogs are more right about the nature of God than cats are, not because I think that we are particularly God-like, but because there is a spark of divinity in each of us, giving us small portions of His power and goodness. And when we use our God-given powers to perform acts of Christian service, that is when we are most like God.

No comments: