Monday, August 24, 2015

How Not to Use a Book

When President Monson, then just Brother Monson, was given a copy of the Missionary Handbook, he used it to help keep his clothes properly folded and wrinkle-free, but I have no room to talk. I currently own a copy of The Children's Book of Virtues, but the last time I used it, it wasn't to read it and learn from it. I used it to prop up a laptop so the laptop wouldn't overheat. Obviously, being physical objects of convenient size and shape is not the primary function of a book. Books are made to be read so we can learn from them (or at least be entertained by them, in the case of some less informative books). Perhaps I should follow the example that Brother Monson eventually set and read the book instead of just using it the way I'd use a block of wood.

No comments: