Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Faith to Stay in the Second-Rightmost Lane

The other day, as I was driving on unfamiliar roads, my guide informed me that we'd be getting on the freeway and that we could either merge into the rightmost lane, or stay in the second-rightmost lane, which we were already in and which would work just as well. Though I trusted my guide, or at least I thought I did, I had the idea in my mind that some freeway entrances were only one lane wide, so I decided to merge into the rightmost lane, just to be sure. As I came to the freeway entrance and saw that the second-rightmost lane would, indeed, have worked out just as well, I mentally kicked myself for not having had the faith to stay in the second-rightmost lane.

The reason I had given myself for merging was "just to be sure," but if my guide was trustworthy and if I fully trusted my guide, as I should have, I would already have felt sure that I was in a good lane when they said that the second-rightmost lane would have been fine. I could have taken their word and trusted that there were two acceptable lanes, even when my own doubts made me worry that there might only have been one. If I had had enough faith to trust my guide completely, I wouldn't have felt the need to merge out of the lane that they had assured me would be fine.

We all sometimes get spiritual impressions that defy conventional wisdom. Sometimes, we're impressed to take what seems like a risk we otherwise wouldn't have taken. For example, we may feel compelled to speak with more boldness than we normally would, or to give someone the benefit of a doubt when we doubt that they deserve it. Such impressions may feel slightly dangerous to follow, but if we trust the one who gave us those impressions, we can follow those impressions with faith that it'll work out.

The other day, I doubted whether the second-rightmost lane was truly as adequate as my guide had told me it was. When it seemed to me that the path I was on might not take me where both my guide and I wanted me to go, I trusted in my own wisdom, lost though I was, rather than the knowledge and experience of my guide. I pray that I'll have the wisdom and the faith to not make that mistake again.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Again I am impressed by your ability to find spiritual lessons in every day events. I realize that partly this is a gift you have been give, but also in good part it is because you look, pay attention, and reflect. I may not have your gift, but I can try to learn to look as you do. Perhaps in time, if I do, the gift will come.

Thank you for sharing your insights!